SIPP

 Through SIPP, we are able to efficiently and effectively work together to identify potential issues  and eliminate any problems or delays ensuring we deliver your project on time and on budget.

SCHEDULE. ISSUES. PROCUREMENT. PLANNING. 

Lean has become an important part of the construction industry.  Companies all over the nation are implementing lean practices by utilizing Pull and Last Planner meetings to try to minimize wasted time, effort and materials for major building projects. However ACCEND’s leaders noticed that it has a few major flaws. Most importantly it is inefficient and can waste valuable time that could be used to plan and solve for potential scheduling roadblocks or procurement issues. Without taking the proper time to talk about issues, procurement and planning, the leaders of ACCEND noticed that projects using the Lean method were prone to running into complications, leaving projects behind schedule and over budget. 

ACCEND has developed a new approach through the creation of SIPP. SIPP takes the positive aspects of Pull and Last Planner meetings,such as heavy collaboration and teamwork and eliminates time wasted.  The SIPP method ensures that all necessary project players have adequate time to discuss and solve upfront for the things that might get in your  way on a project.

What does SIPP stand for?

SIPP stands for Schedule, Issues, Procurement, and Planning, and consists of these four major focus areas. By zeroing in on these topics, we stay ahead of obstacles that may be encountered during a project. 

Why is it called SIPP?

At each meeting, ACCEND goes over Schedule, Issues, Procurement and Planning – in that order. It is important to start with the schedule to set an accurate framework and timeline for the project.

  1. SIPP meetings begin by reviewing the milestone schedule created by ACCEND,
  2. Then all parties work together to identify pain points or potential issues. The benefit of discussing issues together is to collaborate and productively come to solutions among all stakeholders and subcontractors as a united team.  
  3. Next we talk about potential procurement issues,  and solutions.
  4. Finally, we develop an action plan to execute on all items discussed within the meeting.

What is the main difference between SIPP and Last Planner / Pull Meetings?

The main difference between SIPP and Last Planner / Pull Meetings is the schedule.  In Last Planner and Pull meetings, the schedule is built together with all stakeholders in the room. While this sounds like a good idea, in reality it can take 3-4 hours for which people may be checked out.  With SIPP, ACCEND builds a baseline schedule a week prior to the meeting, and issues it to the team for review. The meeting time is then spent validating and adjusting the schedule, rather than starting from scratch which shaves off many hours and allows the team to re-allocate time to discussing the critical components of the job like potential issues and procurement.

Because of this, people are coming to the meeting prepared with comments and already thinking about issues and procurement. A normal SIPP meeting lasts 2 hours and spends about 20% of the time readjusting the schedule and the remaining 80% of the time really digging into the potential issues, procurement, and planning for the future.  We are nowable to shift the focus from the schedule to problem mitigation and creating a successful project  plan.

The purpose of SIPP is to create a winning project strategy rather than one milestone schedule.  ACCEND has found that SIPP is truly the best way to ensure a successful project.